Our Aims (and how we engage with the local community)
Creswell Against Fracking (CAF) was established in the autumn of 2017 by a group of concerned residents from the community who have come together to oppose the threats posed by fracking in our locality.
The group was formed in response to the exploratory seismic testing undertaken by INEOS, a large multi-national company, which began in September of that year and continued until January 2018.
The group is extremely concerned about the impact fracking could have on our community and our way of life. In our locality five sites have been identified for ‘exploratory’ drilling despite opposition from residents, Local Authorities and the community at large.
Research from other countries, primarily the USA and Australia, where fracking is well estabvlished has shown the following:
Increased industrialisation and the severe scarring of the rural landscape[e, pollution, earthquakes and the serious impact on water supply, health and homes.
What We Do
Our aim is to stop fracking by peaceful means and work at all times within the law.
To achieve this we have:
- Established an effective campaign group;
- Continued to raise community awareness about the social and environmental impact of fracking;
- Continued to identify and engage political and environmental champions;
- Regularly support local anti-fracking groups by participating in awareness raising and fund raising;
- Continued to engage local political parties in the fracking debate. Recently we have obtained support from Bolsover district Council in engaging with local anti-fracking representatives to contribute to the Derbyshire County Council Mineral Plan consultation process;
- Keep up to date with current and proposed developments in the fracking debate.